Today marked the third day that I have made the 2.6 mile walk to school in the morning. It takes right around 45minutes from my front door to the front door of the Haven ministry house (across the street from the campus). Why am I walking to school? I wish it was for more noble reasons like trying to save the planet or in support of those who cannot afford vehicles-perhaps those in third world countries who walk miles everyday simply to access clean drinking water. But, those of you who know me, probably know that isn't true. Hopefully you know that isn't true because I'm a complicated woman kind of human being who rarely does anything for one single good reason and not because I'm a selfish jerk (please say I'm not a selfish jerk). I guess I could be a selfish jerk- that is kind of the point of this whole blog thing right- to write about myself and in order to make it funny let my flesh-ripping sarcasm shine through.
Anyways, back to me (wow I can't get away from this selfish thing can I ((my sisters where right(((nobody tell them that please))).
So walking to school- right walking. Why have I been walking? Well, I decided to walk to school once just to see if I could do it. I had been reading about that family in NYC who gave up mechanised transportation and thought it sounded like a challenge. And because I am highly competitive- yes, even with myself- I decided to give it a try. I left the house super early because I had no idea how long it would actually take me to make the trek- google maps gives you an estimate but -brace yourselves for this- sometimes technology is wrong. I ended up about 45minutes early for school so I read a book and tried to get myself to not stink of sweat and outside. Even though it is somewhat cool and brisk in the morning I end up sweating by the time I get where I am going. And it is that annoying kind of sweat where you are hot and cold at the same time. I think cold sweat might even smell worse than hot sweat- or maybe it just makes you more self conscious because you think you shouldn't be sweating or maybe I am just thinking about this too much- that could be true too. The walk home that first day was the best and worse part. It was slower paced because I wasn't trying to be anywhere at any certain time so I could really have a chance to take in the scene around me. I had no idea there were such beautiful houses in Yakima. Some newer construction and others old with wonderful upkeep. I just love looking at unique houses! It was also sunny. Sunny is nice but that made is warmer and that made me sweat even more. It is also uphill the whole way home....more sweat. But overall, I was extremely proud of myself for meeting the challenge and doing something I thought I could.
The second time was a different story. This time I was walking because I knew I could and thought I should. If I can get to school and not use my car then I probably should-sometimes. Not only does it save me money and provide over 5 miles of fat burning cardio round trip, it is better for the environment that I call home. So I walked out of determination and a little bit of guilt.
Mostly I just remember thinking, "Wow this is taking forever!" Okay, that is a lie I also did stop dead in my tracks two times in awe of a couple different properties I passed. One was this old white faded brick house that looked like it belonged on an old hilly street in Seattle. It had this amazing deck with those paper lantern lights hung all over yet avoiding the tacky look. I envied their entertaining capabilities. The second was a modest house that had a meticulously manicured tree growing up the front wall and perfectly placed around the windows of both stories. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. But other than that, walking was just taking forever. I was tired and I wanted to be home.
That was Tuesday. Since then I have been going back and forth in my head about walking again. I think I should keep it up at least until I finish writing my paper for Humanities about the affect of the automobile on American culture, but I am also searching for reasons why I absolutely need my car. Why would I need my car- how about the value of my time and the things I need to do? I wrestled with that until last night and then still being undecided, I turned to my adventurous and competitive side to make the decision. I need to go to my dads after school to clean and I need to make it to Stations of the cross at 3 and back for Good Friday services at 7. Can I do that all without my car? Can I go one day of somewhat normal activities without my car? Is that a challenge I smell (or my armpits((sorry, maybe this is why people are shocked when I tell them I am 25- perhaps my humor suggests a little boy))? So challenge it is and challenge myself I shall!
This time I know how long it will take me and wake up with just barely enough time to shower, throw some food in my mouth and blow dry my hair so it doesn't look like a twisty mess all day. I ditch my backpack because even though I am taking 17 credits, I apparently have no need of any of the books I bought or even my brain- maybe I should leave that at home today too.
I head down then up, then back down the little hills surrounding my house and start the Rosary as I walk. When I get to Albertsons (the half way point) I see a motorcycle cop and some guy at the pump makes a comment in my general direction. I didn't hear him and mumbled, "huh?" Apparently he thought that was an agreeing response to whatever he said because he laughed and asked me if I was going to school. I am a little creeped out but before I put that title on the feelings, my mouth is already responding to him: "Yeah." As he asks if I want I ride I silently chastise myself for not answering with something like, "No, I am heading to see my big strong boyfriend who carries a gun," or "No, I'm with that cop over there," or "No, I am actually a scary man under these clothes who will kick your you-know-what if you try anything you big creep." But because I am distracted by my inner monologue my mouth answers for me again: "Nah, I'm doing this for exercise, thanks though." I guess that is much nicer- hopefully not too nice. Luckily my feet weren't involved in any of this. They just kept minding their own business putting one in front of the other so I am pretty far away now as he mutters something else. In less then a minute I get back onto a main road feeling very relieved, a little stupid, and slightly helpless. The guy from the pump drives past and honks. I raise a hand in recognition and I spend the rest of the walk to school hoping that I know that guy from one of my classes and not from a poster or the bottom corner of the newspaper where the crime stopper ads are. And then before I know it I am at the school.
This challenge/project/environmental duty really is proving to be a challenge, even in Yakima- or maybe especially in Yakima. I hope the rest of the day is less eventful.
Dear Big Al,
ReplyDeleteYou really do crack me up. And I've never notice your stinky armpits.
Christina
I don't carry a gun. Sorry. Should I?
ReplyDelete