Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Eng&101 Free Writing
Is it appropriate to talk to strangers in the public restroom? I think this question is open to interpretation. There are times when it might be considered okay. Most people would see that question and, like my neighbor across from me, regard it as creepy. It seems like the easy answer is no. No, it is never appropriate to talk to strangers in the public restroom. I will admit however, that I have done it. I talk to friends and family all the time in the bathroom- weird? Well maybe not weird for family but talking to friends in the bathroom- so weird. Not for me. Not on Reach where you live in such close quarters that you quickly become family to people who were complete strangers. But this isn't even really getting to the heart of the situation. The heart of the situation asks about strangers. I still think that there are times when it is appropriate - well at least times when it is not completely inappropriate. Especially for women- I mean come on- we talk constantly. We go to the bathroom in groups. There are couches in many ladies rooms for crying out loud! Are we supposed to sit there together silently. Sorry, back to the whole stranger issue. So maybe you can talk to a stranger in a public restroom at certain times. What's a good time? When you are washing your hands, drying your hands or making sure your face is on straight. Can we all except that? What about when a restroom is crowded? Is it okay to talk to another restroom goer (haha goer- bathroom-potty- haha) while waiting in line? Sure, I think. Just watch your content. Nobody wants to hear in depth about just how badly you need to go. And nobody wants description on urine color or scent. And certainly nobody cares if you have a killer bladder infection. I have also decided that making verbal notes on smells or sounds while in a public restroom should be frowned upon. Same thing goes for laughing or snickering too. Okay, so we have established that talking to strangers can be okay sometimes and about certain things. Now I have a story I would like to share. The story that sparked this whole question. Yesterday I wore no shoes all day. It was in support of TOMS One Day Without Shoes campaign promoting awareness of kids in foreign countries without the luxury of even a single pair of shoes. It was pretty cool overall. I felt blessed to be a part of it. It hurt a little, was very cold, and a little gross when I had to go into the bathroom to do my duty. (haha duty sounds like...oh never mind) Anyways, there were two other girls in the restroom. One of them was from my speech class. I do not know her name and all I remember of her is that she likes to party and can't make guacamole in 3-5 minutes like she apparently thought she could. All this I learned in a 5+ minute speech minutes before. So my point is that I would consider her a stranger. Maybe even more strange than some because I don't really want to get to know her- the party thing I can handle but not if you can't whip me up some guac in an acceptable time frame. Sorry- back on track. I enter my stall to do my thing. Then I hear: "You should be my speech tutor." (tutor...tooter sheesh what am I a 7 year old boy?) Well, since I am in her speech class and that other lady presumably isn't, I figure she must be talking to me. I hope I illustrated in my previous ranting that when one party is in the stall, talking to strangers is not appropriate. Major fopaux- or to use a term she would get "party foul!" But me being the wonderfully sweet and kind and giving and caring and self-conscious person I am, I feel horribly obligated to answer. I say something to the effect of just keep practicing and checking your time. I thought that was a good concise answer to give that would allow me to get back to my silent stall job. Silence. It worked. Crap! (...crap...too easy) Next thing I know I hear: " I do have one question for you- why are you not wearing shoes?" Good question, bad timing. You see, by this point the guac-failure girl is done washing her hands, drying her hands and even checking her face- if she does that sort of thing. And now she is simply standing directly outside my stall door waiting for an answer. There is no eloquent way out. So I take a deep annoyed breath and give her the abridged version of the TOMS mission. And because God really does love me, that was enough. "Cool, " she replied and left the bathroom. Cool? All that awkwardness for cool. I think TOMS should give me a medal for that -interrupting my mission to share theirs...I guess I can sacrifice for the greater good. But I have left out the real hero of this story. That third lady. I think we could all learn a lesson from that third lady, who through it all stayed quiet in her stall, observing the unspoken rules of the public restroom. Here's to you silent stall women! If I happen to meet you again I might even thank you for the example you set- let's just hope I remember to wait until the appropriate time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
oh em gosh...thats hilarious
ReplyDelete