Saturday, October 9, 2010

hard work

At times we think we are powerless- like life is happening around us. Other people are members of the orchestra and we just listen to the music. But the truth is, each of us is powerful. With every choice we make, life is different. Maybe there's not a Nobel prize for holding your tongue when your dad is a real jerk or for talking a 4 year old into un-crumpling his latest drawing. Maybe there should be.
I've been fixated on the idea that I want to change the world- that I have to change the world- for nearly ten years now. I look at this massive world I live in and dream in grandeur about ways to reach the most people with a message that inspires and gives life. My youth minister told me we should all pray that God would use us but that I should pray extra hard that it might be in a big way. Why? Because it's easier.
Do you think that is true? Do you think it is hard to be quietly powerful? To change your own little world and watch others change the rest? To be the mother of a Saint? The teacher of a doctor? The childhood coach of the Pro MVP?
I would love to see someday that I changed the world by throwing large amounts of money into the fight against hunger or because my book was a best selling self-help or inspirational piece. I would love to hear peoples lives directed by a quote of mine or deeply touched by a moment I captured in vivid color.
Then again, I always did like the easy path. Not a fan of hard work. And living like I matter every moment of every day...that is hard work. Believing that the effort I put into listening to someone makes a difference is hard work. Knowing that everything after breathing is a choice that could change someones life is hard work. Changing my own little world in order to change the whole world- that...that is hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment