I throw it up in the air, one
Of those blue and white
Coleman water coolers with
A spout and handle,
Up into the grey sky.
It leaves my hand at a swing
Landing with a pop as
The handle breaks free.
Before, his shorts and
Tank top and sandal feet
Left His leaning
Against the car. I knew
He couldn't stay away
No matter how mad he was.
The Caprice Classic
Light blue station wagon,
The kind with the backwards
Facing third row seat, I saw it
Pulling in from the stands.
Before, there were so many
Loud words exchanged
And tears- I heard,
From under the table
Already ready to go,
A crescendo of anger, 20-some
Unhappy years and finally
An ultimatum. When we return
It would all be different
He said, so She left with me
To see my sister play.
Again, I swing it up after
Putting the handle back on.
Swinging, falling, breaking, fixing...
Again...
And again...
And again...
All the way to the car-
For over forty years now.
One day, when I need it,
No matter how hard I try
The cooler won't stay together
Because that day of the game
The damage was done.
No comments:
Post a Comment